Friday, April 11, 2008

Significatn Postings from the Blogging Experience

Although the blog is still pretty new, we have had some great information appear. I especially enjoyed the discussions regarding both parent's and teachers' roles in social networking ("Teachers to the Rescue" and "Parents in the Technology Mix"). As both a parent and a school counselor, I find this topic interesting. Personally, I don't have any interest in MySpace, etc--but it is important to be informed about anything that your teenager is interested in. Looking on my daughter's page as well as her friends is something that I do on a regular basis. Often they post information for each other that they don't realize could be dangerous, such as a photo of them wearing a team uniform. I always ask my daughter to remove this type of thing because I don't want her to be so easily identified and/or located. Of course, it's also nice to know what the kids are talking about and to stay current on the local 411!

I enjoyed posting informational articles, such as the article from New Scientist and information about the proposed anti bullying bill. It was also helpful to find and post information as educator resources. The information is out there, you just have to find it!

No comments:

Teaching and Learning Strategies


As educators, we are interested in sharing strategies to educate students on basic internet use and protect students against being bullied online. The Teacher's Page at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/teach/kidsonline
is a great resource. Counselors and/or teachers can present the Frontline video to students to initiate a discussion of this important topic. There is a lesson plan, "How Did My Space Become Your Space" and two student handouts guiding students to investigate and reflect on the social network experience. Teachers, check out these resources and let us know what you think!