I have to admit that having twisted arms, brow- beat, bribed, and cajoled friends and family to join our blog to make sure we boosted the requisite number of contributors, I spent most of my careful analysis looking at their contributions rather than to all the contributions on the blog as a whole. The postings of greatest interest to me were the ones I had invested the most time in researching -- the Scott McLeod sites, the legal interpretation of free speech as it relates to cyberbullying, and the role for teachers and parents in modeling appropriate behavior in use of technology for social networking. But a fascinating discussion ensued when the various house and senate bills proposed in Georgia were cited and referenced. I firmly believe there is a need for civility in the commerce of our lives. But I also firmly believe that behavior cannot be legislated to assure compliance. One of our contributors came down especially strongly against legislativ attempts to regular behavior, suggesting that it is a threat to freedom of speech. As Nancy, Kristin, and I pointed out in various posts, the responsibility for the behavior of children rests squarely at the feet of the parents and families. We all emphasized that in our posts. First line responsibility for our children in all facets of their lives - including their behavior "on line" rests with the parents.
I found myself focusing so much on the content of the blog, attempting to make sure that we met the requirements for the project, that I did not read the posts and comments in a great detail, except, as noted above on the topics that I posted or when my "contributors" posted. I loved hearing my own kids comment about a topic that actually touches all of our lives.
What I learned in this experience is that a blog is like a garden. You spend a great deal of time preparing the soil, making sure the soil is not too acid or alkaline, tenderly planting and watching the seeds sprout, hoping for the best. But continuing to provide water, getting out the weeds, hoeing deep if necessary, is what will keep a garden -- and blog -- alive and thriving.
Thursday, April 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Teaching and Learning Strategies
| As educators, we are interested in sharing strategies to educate students on basic internet use and protect students against being bullied online. The Teacher's Page at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/teach/kidsonline is a great resource. Counselors and/or teachers can present the Frontline video to students to initiate a discussion of this important topic. There is a lesson plan, "How Did My Space Become Your Space" and two student handouts guiding students to investigate and reflect on the social network experience. Teachers, check out these resources and let us know what you think! |
1 comment:
Marcy, I also begged friends to post. Many plead too busy but some were also too intimidated to comment.
Post a Comment