Thursday, April 3, 2008

Applications of Blogs to My Practice

I have found the Blogging Experience project to be especially valuable in a number of areas in my 'practice' -- as an instructor, as a professional, and as an individual. While I already teach faculty how to use a blog/wiki tool delivered by the additional module from Learning Objects, Inc., Campus Pack, through Blackboard (our enterprise LMS), I have never actually participated in developing and writing a blog. Not all faculty u se Blackboard on my campus but many faculty are very interested in tapping in to some of the collaborative Web 2.0 tools, such as blogs and wikis. I will certainly be able to work with them in setting up a blog independent of Blackboard.

I was inspired in Warlick's book "Classroom Blogging" to think about how to represent myself in a professional blog. I plan to develop one in the next few weeks. In one way, a blog simply allows you to have a web presence - or for your class to have a web presence. But utilization of this tool for instruction is compelling in the fact that your 'research' is going to be 'published' which sharpened my attention to the information I was writing and sharing.

I have owned various domain names for years, knowing that eventually I would do something creative with technology. As a somewhat 'diverted' writer (I started to post 'frustrated writer' - but I really see myself as momentarily diverted in investing time and attention to writing and not frustrated by the act of writing) being able to conceive of a blog as space to hone and develop my writing is exciting.

And, finally, I think a 'family blog' would be a terrific way to keep up with and, perhaps, be a bit more reflective, about what we need/want to share with each other. My sisters and children are scattered all over the country. And most of us are quite reflective and enjoy sharing ideas and thoughts. Email is simply too overwhelming these days and a blog would provide excellent space for us to develop a rich family record/journal. This concept could easily translate into various classroom activities where student projects require documenting and sharing their findings or results.

These may not represent traditional concepts of "practice" but they are all mine!


No comments:

Teaching and Learning Strategies


As educators, we are interested in sharing strategies to educate students on basic internet use and protect students against being bullied online. The Teacher's Page at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/teach/kidsonline
is a great resource. Counselors and/or teachers can present the Frontline video to students to initiate a discussion of this important topic. There is a lesson plan, "How Did My Space Become Your Space" and two student handouts guiding students to investigate and reflect on the social network experience. Teachers, check out these resources and let us know what you think!