I found this blogging experience to be very engaging and intriguing. Often group projects can feel uneven, but in our group we each made timely and valuable contributions. In my usual chaos I felt, at times, a little overwhelmed. But I was determined to invest myself in the work and to make it mean something. And it did! I have a lot to learn about setting up a blog and managing one, but I feel that I've gotten a head start and have already started two personal blogs for future development, one professional, and one for my extended family to jointly develop as contributors.
Several things I've learned about myself throughout this project is that I take longer to write than is often expedient. I do not like having to rush to produce comments or content that will be published to a blog. I usually work on deadline but I did not like that imposed on the blog experience. The wuality of the writing was important to me. I don't often get that sense of investment in discussion board posts. I love the form of the communication - html pages - rather than threaded discussion boards. A blog allows for more creative and engaging communication since you can incorporate hyperlinks, images, audio, and video files, as well as text.
I also wanted to reach out and engage the potential reader. We worked on incorporating modules to invite participation rather than relying on text only.
The final thing I reinforced about myself is to remember to chill out (not to parrot President Clinton!) and enjoy the process a bit. I truly believe there is the capacity for creativity in technology. This project allowed me to experience that and renewed my flagging energy at a key point in the semester.
Sunday, April 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Teaching and Learning Strategies
| As educators, we are interested in sharing strategies to educate students on basic internet use and protect students against being bullied online. The Teacher's Page at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/teach/kidsonline is a great resource. Counselors and/or teachers can present the Frontline video to students to initiate a discussion of this important topic. There is a lesson plan, "How Did My Space Become Your Space" and two student handouts guiding students to investigate and reflect on the social network experience. Teachers, check out these resources and let us know what you think! |
1 comment:
Marcy,
Glad you are enjoying his experience. I think blog is good and actually has valuable information. You all have done a great job.
Post a Comment