http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/2007_08/sum/sb461.htm
http://www.legis.state.ga.us
According to a survey conducted by iSafe, an alarming 42% of U.S. children have been harassed at least once while online. This is known as Cyberbullying. Cyberbullying is the use of information technology, specifically the Internet, to deliberately harass others. The purpose of this blog is to share insights, discuss issues, and develop solutions related to Cyberbullying among children. Not only should we find ways to protect children from online threats but also educate them on Internet safety.
| As educators, we are interested in sharing strategies to educate students on basic internet use and protect students against being bullied online. The Teacher's Page at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/teach/kidsonline is a great resource. Counselors and/or teachers can present the Frontline video to students to initiate a discussion of this important topic. There is a lesson plan, "How Did My Space Become Your Space" and two student handouts guiding students to investigate and reflect on the social network experience. Teachers, check out these resources and let us know what you think! |
2 comments:
I am completely against this legislation and any legislation of its kind.
I am happy SB 461 passed unanimously in the Georgia Senate, however I am concerned with one aspect of the bill. It states that district policies create "A requirement that a parent or guardian of any target of bullying or person who bullies another shall be notified".
I understand that it's important for parents to know when their children are being bullied so they can intervene. However, I am concerned about how this gives students absolutely no confidentiality. I would imagine that high schoolers would not want their parents/guardians to know that they are getting picked on at school. Media Specialists can't even let a parent know the title of an overdue book checked out by a student, so I am surprised to see that it's ok to notify a parent that his or her kid is not liked in school. Instead, I think the parents of the kids doing the bullying should be notified, since they are the ones committing the act and "breaking" the rules of the school.
Post a Comment