Saturday, March 15, 2008
Cyber Bullying
I think cyber bullying is done by individuals who are insecure or jealous of others. They prefer to hind behind the anonymity of the Internet. Based on cyber bullying incidents I have heard about, they are most often commited by adolescent girls. Adolescent boys do bullying of younger and weaker boys in person, which often gets physical.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Teaching and Learning Strategies
| As educators, we are interested in sharing strategies to educate students on basic internet use and protect students against being bullied online. The Teacher's Page at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/teach/kidsonline is a great resource. Counselors and/or teachers can present the Frontline video to students to initiate a discussion of this important topic. There is a lesson plan, "How Did My Space Become Your Space" and two student handouts guiding students to investigate and reflect on the social network experience. Teachers, check out these resources and let us know what you think! |
3 comments:
You are so right; cyber bullying is increasing because people are emboldened by the anonymity of it. Girls are much more likely to take action when their identity is unknown and often the bullying spirals out of control very quickly because so many people can get involved so quickly.
I agree with you that boys do seem to have less of an issue confronting their victim in person and being physical in their bullying. Girls appear to be less confrontational, and as a result, choose an anonymous way to bully, as Nancy mentioned. Either way, both parents and educators need to make sure their children do not participate in either of these bullying behaviors and instead enroll them in sports or other extra-curricular activities. When kids are involved, they are less likely to have the insecurity issues that results in bullying.
I agree with you Ernie. I was watching a movie on Lifetime about this girl who was bullied by her so call friends about a misunderstanding. Anyway, the friends would spread nasty rumors and distort her pictures via internet. The girl who was bullied started hurting her body because of those girls. Even though the movie was fiction, I bet some girls do experience similar events.
Post a Comment